Photo by George Bakos on Unsplash
There are times when we all want to be more creative. We wish that there were something
we could do to express ourselves and create something beautiful at the same time.
If you're looking for ways to discover your creative side and release the artist within, here
are a few simple activities that you can do to get the creative energy flowing.
What type of personality do you have? Are you able to express that personality freely at
work or with friends? If not, tackle one of these projects and let your personality shine!
• Decorate your house, or at least one room, the way you like it. It doesn't
matter what anyone else tells you, just decorate your room, your way. This will help
you unleash your own self-expression.
• Dress the way you want. If tackling the house is too big of a job, then take a look at
your wardrobe. Dress how you want to dress. Trust yourself and trust your instincts.
You are dressing for you, not the world. Don't worry; you can express yourself while
still being professional at work.
You have to find ways in everything you do to allow creativity to flow through you. This can
be as simple as the way you sign a letter, mail an envelope, the way you dress or the house
that you live in.
Change Your Routine
If you're stuck in a rut, do things that take you out of your normal routine. It doesn't really
matter how stimulating your work or home life is, when you take a moment to step out of
your normal routine for some me time, you'll be open to new ideas and new thoughts.
How can you step out of your normal routine?
1. Read a book that you wouldn't usually pick up
2. Watch a movie that you wouldn't typically choose
3. Talk to a total stranger that you think looks interesting
4. Go shopping at a store that you have never been to. You don't necessarily have to buy
anything, just go in and look around.
5. Meet a friend you haven't seen for a long time.
Pay Attention to Your Surroundings
Another simple activity to increase your creativity is to pay attention to your surroundings.
You may laugh and think that is absolutely ridiculous after all, you see the same things and
people everyday, and you probably even drive the same route to and from work, too. But
try to take a few moments and actually pay attention to your surroundings. See things the
way they are and not the way you think they are.
• Take a different route home from work. Discover shortcuts or new
• Sit on a park bench and people watch. Think of stories for each person or couple
that you see.
• Have you ever really paid attention to the people in your office? What about the person
that sits right across from you? Take five or ten minutes and take notice. Don't stare, but
pay attention. You just may find that other people can be quite the source of inspiration
Use Your Imagination
If you have a favorite poem or story that you loved as a kid, sit down and start writing that
story, but make the changes that you always thought should be there. What were Jack and
Jill really doing on their way up the hill? If they were fetching a pail of water, what was the
You don't have to re-invent the wheel, simply make the everyday your own.
Increasing your creativity starts in small, simple ways. Your life is filled with opportunities
for you to test your creative energies but it's up to you to take action!