You are creative, even if you’ve failed to realize it. In fact, you can’t fail to create. You
created the life you’re living right now, even if you don’t appreciate it very much!
However, unless you’ve tried to maximize your creativity, you’ve only been operating
at half-throttle. It’s possible to be much more creative than you have been in the past.
Being able to access your imagination and then use it to find creative solutions will
make life easier, more enjoyable, and bring you greater fulfillment.
Enhance your ability to access your imagination with these strategies:
1. Practice without distractions. Turn off the TV and dim the lights. Have a seat
and close your eyes. Allow your mind to wander, but don’t fall asleep. Instead of
trying to steer your thoughts, let them run wild. Practice being an observer
instead of a director. Do this daily for 15-20 minutes.
Use all of your senses. You can do more than just see. You have the ability
to hear, feel, smell, and touch. Use all of these senses when you’re utilizing
your imagination. Your imagination will feel stronger if you use it daily. Try not to skip a day.
2. Read something outrageous (for you). Try reading a fictional book about aliens,
fire-breathing dragons, or time travel. Expose yourself to new ideas and
concepts. The more you experience, the more your imagination will have to
The same goes for movies. Branch out. You can only watch so many action
movies or romantic comedies!
3. Take up a creative hobby. Learn to paint, sculpture, or play the accordion. Try
writing a screenplay or drawing a monster. Use the creative part of your brain.
4. Explore your passions. Do something you’ve always wanted to try, but haven’t
yet. New mental states can increase your level of creativity.
Use your imagination to find creative solutions:
1. Set an intention. Think of an intention as a short-term goal for an activity. What
are you trying to accomplish with your imagination? Find a solution for your
relationship challenge? Figure out a way to earn more money? Invent a gadget
that will change the world? It’s important to have an objective for your imagination to focus on.
2. Choose a method of addressing your imagination: You can turn off the lights and focus on your intention. You could sleep on it. You could sit at a clean table with a pad of paper and write whatever comes to mind. Keep going for at least 30 minutes.
You could ask yourself questions and listen for the answers. Take part in an activity that engages your mind, but not completely. This can include activities like cleaning the house, taking a shower, mowing the lawn, or listening to classical music. These activities occupy part of your mind, but leave the remainder to create ideas.
3. Act on what you discover. Creative solutions are worthless unless you act
upon them. Reward yourself for being creative by putting your ideas into action.
Sort your ideas and choose the best one. Try and see if your imagination was
correct! You’ll get better with practice.
Our great creativity is one of the things that separates us from other forms of life.
Using your creativity effectively can help you to find better solutions to the
challenges in your life.
Creativity can fade with age, but that’s just because we fail to use it regularly.
Your ability to imagine is one way to address your creativity. Instead of mindlessly
staring out the window and daydreaming, you can direct your imagination to address
specific issues in your life.
Harnessing your ingenuity will make your life more meaningful and enjoyable. Discover
here why creativity is so important and welcome more innovation and inspiration into your
How Creativity Enriches Your Life
1. Experience more joy. Creativity flourishes when you think positively. Find
your passions and cultivate them. Embrace challenges with curiosity. Observe the
conditions that help you get "in the zone."
2. Improve your physical health. Studies show that creativity exercises are an
effective way to relieve stress and boost our immune system. Those who think
resourcefully also cope better with aging and experience fewer declines in their
3. Strengthen your relationships. A sense of imagination can even enhance your
personal relationships. Break out of the same old conflicts by searching for common
ground. Look at challenging situations from the other person's perspective and try out
a different response.
4. Perform better at work. Collaboration is integral to the creative process. Help create
a more cooperative atmosphere where colleagues complement each other's strengths
rather than competing.
5. Be all you can be. We all have some form of creative genius. Enjoy the
pleasure of developing your own gifts. With persistence and an open mind, you'll
expand your skills for responding to all kinds of challenges.
Techniques for Sparking Your Creativity
1. Brainstorm. Generating ideas is usually the first step in the creative process. Put aside
any judgments and just let the options flow. Now's your chance to get zany and
2. Incubate. Before inspiration hits, there's usually a quiet time while we digest our
ideas. Help your unconscious mind along by taking a quiet walk or a relaxing shower.
Routine tasks like washing dishes can also trigger insights. Think about a dilemma
right before bed, and you may wake up with a solution.
3. Take action. Make a plan for how to implement your ideas. Regard every attempt as a
learning experience even if the immediate results fail to pan out. Remember that
successful people succeed because they take more risks.
4. Lighten up. Free up your fertile mind.
• Some gentle aerobics and stretches will relax your body.
• Meditation or soft music can dispel anxieties or boredom.
• Humor is a very powerful tool for lowering inhibitions and seeing things more vividly.
5. Change your routine. Any adjustment to your usual way of doing things can help
you take a fresh look at life. Take an alternate route to work or visit a coffee shop on
the other side of town. Expand your horizons by looking for ways to
experience novelty on a regular basis.
6. Observe the details. On the other hand, you can re-invent the most familiar aspects
of your life by viewing them from a fresh angle. Think about how your kitchen would
appear to an alien from space.
7. Ignore the clock. Get up early so you can savor the luxury of open-ended time.
Forget about deadlines. Focus on the present moment instead of thinking about the
next task you have scheduled. Feel what it's like to be free from hurrying. Try to
remember that sensation as you start your day.
8. Get a hobby. Make the most of your leisure time with creative outlets that
incorporate your passions. You may delight in watercolors. Or maybe you really get a
kick out of working on cars.
9. Seek inspiration. Surround yourself with whatever you find invigorating.
Visit art museums or go camping. Spend more time playing with your kids and
getting caught up in their excitement each time they see something new.
Transform your life into a work of art by tapping into your creative side. Once
you discover and develop your passions, you'll be on your way to feeling more motivated and accomplished